WEST 1st AND WEST 6th STREET LOOP LINE (1910-1919)

 

Formed from the Los Angeles Railway Companys Westlake Park Line and the Pacific Electrics West 6th Street line.

 

ROUTE: From W. 6th and Alvarado Streets, east of 6th to Loomis Street, south on Loomis to W. 6th (again), east on 6th to Olive Street, north on Olive to W. 5th Street, east on 5th to Spring Street, north on Spring to W. 2nd Street, west on 2nd to Olive Street, north on Olive to W. 1st Street, west on 1st to Bonnie Brae Street, south on Bonnie Brae to Ocean View Avenue (W. 3rd Street) west on Ocean View to Alvarado Street, south on Alvarado to W. 6th Street. (The trackage on W. 6th from Alvarado to Figueroa Street had been standard gauge and was converted to narrow gauge in 1910.)

 

1919: Split between the W. 6th Street Line on W. 6th Street and the West 1st Street Line on W. 1st Street.

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

WEST 6th STREET LINE: (1919-1920)

 

Formed from the W. 6th Street branch of the West 1st and West 6th Street Loop Line.

 

ROUTE: From E. 5th Street and Central Avenue (Central Depot), west on 5th to Olive Street, south on Olive to W. 6th Street. West on 6th to Loomis Street, north on Loomis to W. 6th Street (again), west on 6th to right-of-way near Gramercy Way. North on right-of-way to W. 3rd Street, west on 3rd to Larchmont Boulevard, north on Larchmont to Melrose Avenue.

 

MAY 9, 1920: Made part of the R-Whittier Boulevard and West 3rd Street Line.

 

++++++++++++++++++++

 

D-WEST 6th STREET LINE (1920-1931)

 

Formed from the West 6th Street Line.

 

ROUTE: From E. 5th Street and Central Avenue (Southern Pacifics Central Depot), west on 5th to Olive Street, south on Olive to W. 6th Street, west on 6th to Loomis Street, north on Loomis to W. 6th (again), west on 6th to Rampart Boulevard.

 

JULY 25, 1920: Extended west on 6th from Rampart Boulevard to right-of-way near Gramercy Place, north on right-of-way to W. 3rd Street, west on 3rd to Larchmont Boulevard, north on Larchmont to Melrose Avenue (W. 3rd and Larchmont had been part of the R-Line from May until July 1920.)

 

AUGUST 26, 1923: Cut back to W. 6th and Rampart again; the R-Line resumed service to Larchmont and Melrose Avenue (these changes were needed because of a shortage of four-motored streetcars needed on the steep grades on 6th Street west of Rampart.)

 

MARCH 24, 1924: Cut back from W. 6th and Rampart Boulevard, to 6th and Alvarado Street, then north on Alvarado to W. 3rd Street, east on 3rd to Bonnie Brae Street, north on Bonnie Brae to W 1st Street (Beverly Boulevard), taking over from the I-Line (W. 1st Street) which was cut back to here.

 

JUNE 1924: Due to power shortage, cut back to Alvarado and W. 6th Streets.

 

JANUARY 1925: Normal service to Bonnie Brae and W. 1st Streets resumed.

 

DECEMBER 11, 1927: W. 5th Street extended west from Olive Street to W. 6th and Beaudry Street, with the line rerouted to this point. Trackage abandoned on Olive from 5th Street south to 6th Street, and on Loomis Street from 6th Street south to 6th (again), and east on 6th to Figueroa Street.

 

JANUARY 11, 1931: During evening hours and Saturday and Sunday, service cut back to W. 6th and Alvarado, I-Line again took over service from W. 1st and Bonnie Brae to Alvarado and W. 6th during these hours.

 

JANUARY 18, 1931: After only a week, normal service to 1st and Bonnie Brae resumed.

 

JUNE 12, 1931: Name changed to D-West 6th and Central Station Line.

 

D-WEST 6th AND CENTRAL STATION LINE (1932-1939)

 

Formed from the D-West 6th Street Line, June 12, 1931, with no other change.

 

ROUTE: From Central Avenue and E. 5th Street, west on 5th to W. 6th and Beaudry, west on 6th to Alvarado Street, north on Alvarado to W. 3rd Street, east on 3rd to Bonnie Brae Street, north on Bonnie Brae to W. 1st Street.

 

DECEMBER 29, 1936: Terminal at Central Station changed from a spur in front of the station to a crossover at E. 6th Street and Central Avenue.

 

OCTOBER 31, 1937: Terminal returned to original spur in front of Central Station.

 

SEPTEMBER 10, 1939: Renamed D-West 6th and East 5th Street Line.

 

D-WEST 6th AND EAST 5th STREET LINE (1939-1943)

 

Formed from the D-West 6th and Central Station Line, September 10, 1939, with no change of route, due to the closing of Central Station and the opening of Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal.

 

SEPTEMBER 4, 1943: Because of heavy wartime traffic, extended south on U-Line to Central and Slauson Avenues, renamed the D-West 6th and Central Avenue Line.

 

D-WEST 6th AND Central AVENUE LINE (1943-1947)

 

Formed from the West 6th and East 5th Street Line, and the Central Avenue branch of the U-University and Central Avenue Line, September 4, 1943.

 

ROUTE: From Beverly Boulevard and Bonnie Brae Street, south on Bonnie Brae to W. 3rd Street, west on 3rd to Alvarado Street, south on Alvarado to W. 6th Street, east on 6th to W. 5th, east on 5th to Central Avenue, south on Central to Slauson Avenue.

 

AUGUST 3, 1947: Rail service abandoned, replaced mostly by the 3-West 6th-Central Avenue (trolley coach) Line. Service on Alvarado Street to W. 3rd and Bonnie Brae Street to Beverly Boulevard was abandoned.