SAN PEDRO STREET LINE (1898-1910)

 

Formed from the Main, 5th and San Pedro Street Railway, built with funds from the Los Angeles Railway. Opened for service August 1, 1898 and taken over by the Los Angeles Railway September 1, 1898.

 

ROUTE: From Main and Temple Streets, south on Main to E. 5th Street, east on 5th to San Pedro Street, south on San Pedro to E. 30th Street.

 

1901-1902: Extended south from 30th Street on San Pedro to South Park Avenue, (Avalon Boulevard), south on South Park Avenue to Slauson Avenue, site of the Ascot Park Race Course.

 

NOVEMBER 1910: Taken over by the Los Angeles Railway Corporation with no change.

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

ELEVENTH STREET LINE (1910-1919)

 

Formed from the W. 11th Street branch of the West 11th and East Main Street Line.

 

ROUTE: From W. 10th Street and Gramercy, east on 10th Street (Olympic Boulevard) to Hoover Street. South on Hoover to W. 11th Street, east on 11th (with slight jog on Figueroa Street) to Main Street. North on Main, Broadway Place and Broadway to W. 2nd Street, east on 2nd and Traction Avenue to E. 3rd Street, east on 3rd to Santa Fe Avenue, north on Santa Fe to Santa Fe Railway Depot at E. 2nd Street.

 

OCTOBER 1917: Extended west on W. 10th Street from Gramercy Place to Victoria Avenue, south on Victoria to Country Club Drive, west on Country Club and Olympic Boulevard, to Mullen Avenue, site of the New Los Angeles High School.

 

1919: Through-routed with the San Pedro Avenue Line and became part of the San Pedro and West 11th Street Line.

 

+++++++++++++++++++

 

S-SAN PEDRO STREET AND WESTERN AVENUE LINE (1920-1947)

 

Formed from the San Pedro Street section of the San Pedro and West 11th Street Line, and the western portion of the Boyle Heights and West 7th Street Line. Service begun May 9, 1920.

 

ROUTE: From W. 61st Street and South Broadway, east on 61st Street to Avalon Boulevard, north on Avalon to San Pedro Street, northeast on San Pedro Street to E. 7th Street. West on 7th to Hoover Street, north on Hoover to Wilshire Boulevard, west on Wilshire to Commonwealth Avenue, north on Commonwealth to W. 6th Street, west on 6th to Vermont Avenue. North on Vermont to W. 3rd Street west on 3rd to Western Avenue, north on Western to Melrose Avenue.

 

OCTOBER 1, 1920: Extended on both ends, from E. 61st and Avalon Boulevard south on Avalon to Merrill (Gage) Avenue, east on Merrill to Central Avenue, south on Central to E. 68th Street (61st Street branch remained in service); Western Avenue extended north to Santa Monica Boulevard.

 

AUGUST 26, 1923: Line on W. 7th Street rerouted west from Hoover Street on 7th to Vermont Avenue, then north on Vermont to W. 6th Street, where it rejoined the original line. Trackage abandoned on Hoover north to Wilshire, Wilshire to Commonwealth and Commonwealth north to W. 6th Street.

 

MARCH 30, 1924: S. Central Avenue extended south from E. 68th Street to E. 77th Street.

 

JANUARY 1, 1931: S. Central further extended from E. 77th to Manchester Avenue.

 

MARCH 6, 1932: Sunday service eliminated on 61st Street branch.

 

DECEMBER 25, 1934: Service on 61st Street branch eliminated altogether.

 

AUGUST 3, 1947: Revised and renamed the S-San Pedro and West 3rd Street Line.

 

S-SAN PEDRO AND WEST 3rd STREET LINE (1947-1950)

 

Formed from parts of the S-San Pedro and Western Avenue Line, (section on Western Avenue abandoned August 3, 1947) and the W. 3rd Street section of the R-Whittier Boulevard and West 3rd Street Line.

 

ROUTE: From Manchester and Central Avenues, north on Central to Gage Street, west on Gage to Avalon Boulevard, north on Avalon to San Pedro Street, northeast on San Pedro to E. 7th Street, west on 7th to Vermont Avenue. North on Vermont to W. 3rd Street, west on 3rd to Larchmont Boulevard where line spilt, one branch going north on Larchmont to Melrose Avenue, the other continuing west on 3rd to La Brea Avenue.

 

SEPTEMBER 10, 1950: West section again revised and named the S-San Pedro and West 7th Street Line.

 

S-SAN PEDRO AND WEST 7th STREET LINE (1950-1963)

 

Formed from the southern portion of the S-San Pedro and West 3rd Street Line and the west portion of the N-West 9th and Civic Center Line.

 

ROUTE: From Manchester and Central Avenues, north on Central to Gage, west on Gage to Avalon, north on Avalon and San Pedro to E. 7th, west of 7th to Vermont Avenue, then for a short time north on Vermont to the loop at W. 1st Street, also south on Vermont to W. 8th Street, west on 8th (on former N-Line trackage) to Western Avenue. Former service on W. 3rd returned to the R-Line.

 

September 1958: Loops built at Central and Manchester Avenues and at W. 8th Street and S. Western Avenue, the last new trackage of the system built.

 

MARCH 31, 1963: Rail service abandoned.