Return to ERHA homepage
      Pacific Electric logoPacific Electric
San Bernardino Local Lines


      As of 1 February 1924, PE operated the following local lines in the San Bernardino area: San Bernardino-Urbita Springs, San Bernardino-Colton, and North D Street-Highland Avenue These lines were acquired in 1911, as a result of the Great Merger.

Route: From 3rd & D west on 3rd to E St., south on E to Urbita Springs.

History: Built by San Bernardino Valley Traction Company in 1902 and Urbita Springs amusement park was built in the year 1903. SBVT built its shops on this line. Abandoned 17 October 1927, track removed at once. (1.455 miles of single track on E Street)

Operation: As of 1 February 1924, car left 3rd & D for Urbita Springs 6:03 AM and every 30 minutes until 11:33 PM; car left Urbita Springs 6:20 AM and every 30 minutes until 11:50 PM. For practically its entire length this line paralleled the San Bernardino-Riverside Line. In 1927 at the abandonment hearing, PE presented evidence tending to show that the line was operated at an out of pocket loss of approximately $1,700 annually, and would have to be rebuilt in the near future at an expense of $63,000.
      Back in the good old days of SBVT, this line in summertime hauled fabulous crowds. Old timers recall conductors on open cars 38 and 39(PE) turning in their transfers in bushel baskets full to overflowing. Special days at the Springs brought through service from Redlands and Colton, taxing the single track on E St. to absolute capacity. Meets were made at the car barn wye.
      In modern times, this line saw heavy use during the annual Orange Show, with 1200s rolling up to the door of the big exhibition building.
      Urbita Springs replaced Harlem Springs as "the" resort-amusement park of San Bernardino County. Among its attractions were swimming, dancing, picnic grounds, and boating. PE sold this property in 1924 to Ernest C. Pickering, who opened it on 21 June 1924 as "Pickering Park."
      Until replaced by the 3rd St. Cut-Off in 1906, this line was part of the Redlands Line.

Route: Left 9th & J Streets. in Colton; west on J to 8th St., north on 8th to La Cadena, east on private way to Mt. Vernon Avenue, north on Mt. Vernon to Third St. (SB), east on Third to D St. 4.24 miles, single track.

History: Built by SBVT in 1902. Abandoned 22 February 1942.

Operation: As of 1 February 1924, cars left 3rd & D Streets.(SB) at 5:30 AM, then every 15 minutes until 7:15 PM; then 7:45, 8:15, 8:30 and every 30 minutes until until 11:30 PM. Cars left 8th & J Streets.(Colton) at 5:53 AM, then every 15 minutes until 7:38 PM, then every 30 minutes until 11:39; then 11:57 PM.
      This line was operated mainly within San Bernardino, but also served a part of Colton. To the south of the SB business district it served the AT&SF Depot, the AT&SF Shops, a well-built-up residential district, the business district of Colton, and the Colton Depot.
      As of 1927, ten crews consisting of two men each were required, using five cars of the 200 Class. The line was entirely single track and had four passing tracks. These figures include the North D St.-Highland Avenue Line which for the most of its life was through-routed with the Colton Local Line. Revenue of 1926 was $78,238. Operating expense including taxes was $76,800, leaving a net income of approximately $2100 yearly. Best year for the line was 1923, when it carried 1,525,275 passengers, 314,963 car miles, and $96,720 revenue. Most through traffic was lost to the San Bernardino-Riverside interurbans after 1914; for instance, this line carried 1,009,985 passengers in 1914 and the following year only 411,688.

Route: As of 1 February 1924, left PE Station (SB), east on 3rd to D Street, north on D Street to Highland Avenue, east on Highland to Arrowhead Avenue & B Street. In order to serve a rapidly growing residential area, this line was extended to 34th & Mountain View Avenue on 1 May 1937.

History: (See Arrowhead Line)

Operation: This line established prior to 1910 by SBVT to provide cut-back service on Arrowhead Line. On 1 May 1910 it was through-routed with Urbita Springs Line, using two cars on a 20-minute headway. PE through-routed this line with the Colton Line probably in 1917, and it remained tied to the Colton Line until abandoned on 22 February 1942 although a franchise car continued until 8 April 1942.
      As of 1 February 1924, cars left PE Station (SB) at 5:43 AM, then every 15 minutes until 7:57 PM, then every 30 minutes until 11:57, then 12:14 AM. Cars left Highland Avenue at 6:02 AM, then every 15 minutes until 8:17 PM; then every 20 minutes until 11:17, then 11:45, 12:16 and 12:27 AM. (Note: These were same trips, same cars, same crews which appear above under Colton Line.)

Route:The through routing of the Colton local line and the N "D" St. Line (see above) resulted in this line. From Colton, the main stops and mileages were: La Cadena (1.37m), Santa Fe Station (3.39), PE Station (4.10), Third & D Streets (4.24), Base Line (5.42), Highland Ave & B Street (6.65). When the line was extended to 34th & Mountain View, it added another 1.01 miles to this total.
      One railroad was crossed at grade: in San Bernardino this line crossed the AT&SF on Third Street just west of I Street; two-man crews flagged across, one-man crew observed from within the car and if safe, proceeded. After the extension to 34th Street in 1937, another AT&SF crossing was treated in like manner; it was located 0.39 mile south of 34th Street.

CARS: Cars used on the Colton-Highland Line were:
1911 2-1201922 5-1201931: 5-100
1913 4-2001924 5-1201933: 6-100
1915 4-2001925 5-1201920 2-150
1918 5-2001927 5-1201936: 6-100
1920 4-1201929 5-1201920 2-150
      Power for this line was supplied at 600 volts from substations 24 at San Bernardino and 25 at Arrowhead.
      After abandonment, PE used cars 1036 and later 1362 to make the franchise runs; for a short time a 100 Class car was used but so many patronized it in preference to the bus that the 1036 was put back on.
      At Mt. Vernon & Rialto Avenue, this line crossed PE's main line to L.A. A somewhat elaborate overhead construction was required to keep the 600 volt trolley wire and the 1200-volt wire separate. Needless to say, the gaps came in the 600-volt wire.
      From 1 June 1931 to 25 November 1931, this line furnished connecting service to Arrowhead Line; latter line was then operated as a shuttle from Highland Avenue to Crusher(1.92 miles) with one round trip to Arrowhead Springs.

Return to ERHA homepage