On 31 July 1909, work began on O&SA's extension from Upland to Claremont, about three miles. A franchise was secured in Pomona, and O&SA built onto that city, although its route was extremely circuitous.
At this time, PE was busy building and extending its city lines in Pomona; among Mr. Huntington's many plans was one for a direct line to Ontario; this would have cut O&SA's patronage almost to zero, as well as discouraging bus competition, but before Huntington could extend his E. 5th Street Line in Pomona, the Great Merger occurred and all talk of the direct Pomona-Ontario Line was dropped until 1914.
To return, President William G. Kerckhoff of PL&P-O&SA pushed construction and on the first day of 1911, O&SA cars began running between Upland and Pomona. O&SA then turned its attention to its original line on Euclid Avenue from Upland to Ontario, rebuilding it with heavier rails to accommodate heavier cars. These cars were built by Kuhlman and became PE 152"-1"57; they were the first California cars to have the Brill 39-E truck and two 65-hp motors were considered sufficient to buck the severe grades to San Antonio as well as to make good time on the level run to Pomona. The rebuilt Euclid Avenue track was placed in service about the first of May in 1911, and through service between Ontario and Pomona was immediately established.
President Kerckhoff then looked about for more worlds to conquer. In July 1911 he made a public statement to the effect that if the O&SA received free right of way to San Bernardino, it would build at once the 22-odd miles necessary to complete a through line to Los Angeles What the Southern Pacific thought of this was made clear on 13 April 1912, when it announced it had acquired the O&SA.
The through service between Ontario and Pomona had not long to live under PE. 1914 saw a competing bus service established on the direct highway route, and the PE had to withdraw. The line was divided into two separate lines:
Route: From Pomona Pacific Electric Station (Third & Garey), north on Garey to Walnut St. (Pomona Junction.), then on private way to North Pomona where it joined the main line; then east on private way to Pacific Electric Station in Claremont (College Ave.).
History: Built 1910 by O&SA. Acquired by PE 1912. Service abandoned on 1 Jan 1933.
Operation: As of 1927, service was provided by two 170 Class cars. Two crews of two men each were required, with headquarters at Pomona. Approximately an hour headway was maintained from 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM during which time 34 trips were made. There were also operated 18 additional trips between Pomona and North Pomona for connection with main line trains by other crews. Running times: Pomona-North Pomona: 12 minutes
(2.78 miles); North Pomona-Claremont: 7 minutes (1.99 miles), making a total of 19 minutes for 4.77 miles.
Financial results of this operation for 1926:
Revenue, $12,989; expenses, $15,600; taxes, $700. Loss: $3,300.
How passenger totals declined on this line may be clearly understood by a study of the official figures:
Return to ERHA homepage