The question may well be asked: Why did not the four-track system on the North come further into town than Indian Village? The answer has to be one of topography. Between Valley Junction and Indian Village there were numerous cuts and fills, plus a viaduct crossing Southern Pacific's main line. Pacific Electric never could see its way clear to to spend the large sums necessary to four-track this gap. They felt that by judicious scheduling, the cramping effect of the double track system between these points (1.36 miles) could be largely minimized.
Between a point just east of Macy Street Bridge and Enchandia Junction (a half mile) there was also a four-track system, but this was operated as a double track system for local cars and freight trains, plus a second two-track system for interurban cars. In effect this worked out to be little better than a long passing track which, much of the time, was blocked by standing freights.
The two outer tracks, comprising a four-track system between Indian Village and El Molino, were constructed by the Los Angeles Inter-urban Company (a PE affiliate) in 1910 and were placed in operation on October 28th of that year.
Two noteworthy improvements took place down the years: the massive concrete viaduct over Mission Road at Huntington Drive which was constructed in 1934, and the rebuilding and lowering of the four-tracks through El Sereno from approximately Eastern Avenue to Van Horne Avenue in 1928. This rebuilt section through El Sereno featured distinctive steel catenary supporting bridges obtained from the Visalia Electric Railway, another SP property.
This exemplary four-track system was ripped up after abandonment of passenger service on the Northern District. Today much of the right-of-way has been absobed by the adjacent roadways.
Return to ERHA homepage