Return to ERHA homepage
 Pacific Electric logoPacific Electric
Oneonta Junction

  ONEONTA JUNCTION Oneonta Junction came into being in 1902 when Old PE built its Pasadena Short Line and its Monrovia Line. They joined at Huntington Drive and Fair Oaks Avenue in South Pasadena and the junction was first named "Monrovia Junction". Within a short time Mr. Huntington ordered the name changed to "Oneonta Junction" in honor of Oneonta, New York, his birthplace.

Oneonta Junction was dignified by a stucco depot standing within the space formed by the wye. On the roof was a glassed-in cabin housing an interlocking plant which controlled the crossing of the Monrovia Line and the SP Pasadena branch. This interlocker was a 16-lever machine built by Union Switch & Signal Company.

Oneonta was always a busy place, but on New Year's Day it was spectacular. Most PE officials made it their headquarters on that day, as every Rose Parade train had to pass through. Many recall President Oscar Smith in recent years, sitting in his battered old rocking chair while train after train, loaded to the clerestory, passed his scrutinizing eye.

The east leg of the wye was very little used. In modern times the school train used it morning and afternoon taking students to and from classes at South Pasadena High School and points on Huntington Drive east of Fair Oaks Avenue.

After abandonment of the Northern District passenger service on September 30, 1951, Oneonta Junction disappeared completely. Most of the intersection now is asphalt pavement, with the old rights-of-way on Fair Oaks and Huntington Drive cut down to dividing planter strips.

Return to ERHA homepage