In Los Angeles, CAL. two small cable railways were constructed in the year 1886 under patents belonging to these Companies, --the Second Street Cable Railroad and the Temple Street Cable Railway. They are single track roads with turn-outs; one of them being about 6,900 and the other nearly 9,000 feet in length. In operating these roads, where turn-outs are met, the rope is dropped from the grip and the cars pass around the turn-outs by gravitation. There is only one slot for the grip, the rope traveling in opposite directions upon pulleys placed 28 feet apart. The pulleys are constructed in pairs but are not set side by side, one being a foot or two in advance of the other. There is a turntable at each end of the road for reversing the dummy.
These roads were constructed almost entirely in the interest of adjacent property, but have unexpectedly proved to be good investments, and the sucessful operation of them has led to the introduction of the cable system into that city on a very extended scale.
|The Electric Railway Journal -1887-|
The Temple Street Cable Railway was the most successful cable car line in Los Angeles. It was built by real estate promoters, and it succeeded in raising the value of property along the road. Like the Second Street Cable Railroad, the line climbed Bunker Hill, near the Plaza.
Also, like the Second Street Railroad, the line was originally single-tracked. In 1889, the line was double-tracked from Spring to Union. The Temple Street line also connected with the Cahuenga Valley Railroad, a steam line to Hollywood.
The company was sold under foreclosure February 28, 1898. Henry E. Huntington acquired it in 1902 and incorporated the line into the Pacific Electric Railway. The PE electrified the line October 2nd, 1902. Ownership of the line was transferred to the Los Angeles Railway in 1910 as an item in the "Great Merger." The line dwindled in importance until finally it was nothing more than the Edgeware Road Shuttle, operated by the LARy's little loved Birney safety cars. The line was abandoned in 1946 with the acquisition of the LARy by the Los Angeles Transit Lines.
|The Cable Car Home Page by Joe Thompson|